Monday, April 13, 2015

Mid Century Desk Update and makeover

 

 I've been looking for a smaller mid century desk for awhile now, and I had some ideas of what I wanted to do with it.

 When I spotted this one I knew it would work, but...
 It had a few problems, and needed a complete makeover.

 First I had to sand the top, and glue the veneer back down. This desk was not top quality even when it was new.  So it was gonna need a special touch.


 Sanding, spray paint and glue would be needed in abundance, as well as what ended up being a complete dis-assembly.
Anything and everything is a work surface in my workshop.


Once I removed the "gold tape" from the spindles and sanded them down a bit they only needed a couple of coats of spray paint to bring them back from ugliness.


I wanted to give the legs a "dipped look" which you'll see all over pinterest.  


 I knew I wanted the drawer red, but beyond that I really had no clue about colros. I used pinterest as my guide and came up with white as my accent color and it worked great. 

Only a little color in a few places was all that was needed to give it some pop, and the rest was left brown or painted brown. The top was in such bad shape, once sanded I just painted it brown.

I found this piece of fabric in my stash and it's perfect for lining the drawer. Gotta have some Orla Kiely in there somewhere :)

I'm really please with how it turned out and plan to put it to good use.  I'm always amazed by what a little spray paint will do.

1 comment:

Jennifer Pearson Vanier said...

What a fabulous makeover! It looks great!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin